where one krazy knitter spins her yarns....

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Hail to the King

“When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer. I read comic books, and I was the hero of the comic book. I saw movies, and I was the hero in the movie. So every dream I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times...I learned very early in life that: ‘Without a song, the day would never end; without a song, a man ain’t got a friend; without a song, the road would never bend - without a song.' So I keep singing a song. Goodnight. Thank you.”
-From his acceptance speech for the 1970 Ten Outstanding Young Men of the Nation Award. Given at a ceremony on January 16, 1971.

His talent, good looks, sensuality, charisma, and good humor endeared him to millions, as did the humility and human kindness he demonstrated throughout his life.
Known the world over by his first name, he is regarded as one of the most important figures of twentieth century popular culture.
Elvis died at his Memphis home, Graceland, on August 16, 1977.


2 Comments:

Blogger Sophia said...

Lovely, Sandi. Thanks for reminding us to celebrate his life.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

 
Blogger Sandi Purl said...

thank u, thank u very much....

Thursday, August 17, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home